Thursday, December 12, 2013

The Sparkle Effect

I am so proud! I, along with an amazing parapro and the support of my school, are starting a Sparkles cheerleading program at my middle school. You see, I coach the CMS cheerleading squad and I also teach special education, so we kinda mixed the two together to give my students an extra-curricular opportunity. 

The Sparkle Effect, Inc. is a non-profit organization that provides grants, encouragement and training to this national movement to get students with special needs included in sports. We applied to be a part of their organization, and we got approved! We are the 115th squad in the nation. Along with that title, we also received a $1000 grant to Varsity Spiritwear for uniforms for the girls, a whole set of t-shirts for all of the girls and coaches, and they are going to fly a trainer out to us in January!  

I am truly so blessed to have this opportunity and to work at a school that encourages these opportunities. My administration is wonderfully supportive and the community is extremely receptive. I had a random woman stop me the other day to thank me for starting the squad. Tears!! 




No comments:

Post a Comment