Saturday, January 4, 2014

What's Eating Clean?

Source
Just a few months ago, I had no clue about eating clean! After lots of research, I've realized that "clean eating" is somewhat subjective and everyone has created their own meanings. To be honest, I am still learning and figuring out what works for me!

Basically, to me, eating clean is about:
  • eliminating/reducing processed foods
  • drinking a lot of water (like a gallon a day)
  • eating 5-6 small meals every 2-4 hours
  • meals consist of a lean protein + a complex carb + veggies (green, colorful ones) 
  • eliminating sugar (<30 grams of naturally occurring sugars a day)
I try to eat organic, non-GMO fruits and vegetables when we can afford to- it stinks that it's not in budget sometimes!

 I have some exceptions: 
  • I use Stevia or Truvia as a regular sweetener (what Southern girl lives without sweet tea?
  • Greek yogurt is my breakfast super pal
  • I treat myself to avoid binges on junk food; For example, I like to keep dark chocolate in my freezer.
  • I've recently removed "Whole Wheat" ingredients in the house that are considered clean- mainly whole wheat pasta, tortillas, etc. I realized that I never stay within serving size for those, and they tend to lead to binges on bad foods. 
Here are some great resources that I've used and/or had recommended to me: 
  • www.heandsheeatclean.com
  • Jamie Eason's 12 Week Trainer
  • Tosca Reno's books (all of them :) ) 
  • TLS Weightloss Solution (I hope to be a coach within the year) 
Keep a look out for more posts about what I eat! 

No comments:

Post a Comment